Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Case Records and Requests

Public Records Advisory

Documents maintained in court case files are public records and subject to public inspection. California Rules of Court, Rule 2.400(a) states that all papers in the court files may be inspected by the public in the office of the clerk. Rule 2.550(a) states that unless confidential or sealed by law, all court records are presumed open.

The public may view and obtain copies of the following case types:

  • Criminal
  • Civil
  • Domestic / Family Law ( Divorce, Child Custody, Legal Separation, and Domestic Violence)
  • Mental Health (Civil and Criminal)
  • Minor Offenses ( Traffic and Infractions )
  • Paternity
  • Probate
  • Small Claims

How to View a Court File in-person or request a copy by mail

In Person

There are two public kiosks available, one at the Truckee Courthouse and one at the Nevada City Courthouse, where the public can view documents during counter hours. We cannot guarantee a file will be available.

The public may also request and view a file by filling out the form below and bringing it to the Courthouse location where the case was filed along with a valid driver's license or other valid photo I.D. Files can only be viewed in the clerk’s office during normal office hours and cannot be removed from the court or clerks' office. Any person who willfully removes, destroys or alters any court record is subject to the penalties imposed by Government Code sections 6200 or 6201. Persons viewing files are not allowed to use personal technology to replicate (take pictures or videos) of the contents of a file.

By Mail or EMAIL

Use the form below and include payment in advance.

  • Record Request Form
    Note: any changes you make to this form will not be saved. Save the completed form to your computer for your records.

Before starting your file search, please be aware of the following:

Juvenile Court Files

All Juvenile Court records are confidential. The minor, his/her parents or legal guardian(s), and attorneys of record may obtain copies of court minutes and selected court documents by appearing at the appropriate counter with photo identification. The records will not be mailed. Aside from parties or agencies granted access as provided by law other individuals must file a Petition For Disclosure of Juvenile Court Records.

The completed form may be presented in person or by mail and must contain an original signature. If the petition is granted, viewing and/or obtaining copies must be done in person with valid photo I.D. Copies of records will not be mailed.

Sealed Records

Court proceedings are a matter of public record, however the court has the power to seal court records. When a judge seals a record, the public is prevented from viewing specified files or documents without first obtaining a court order.

Destroyed Files/File Purging

Pursuant to Government Code section 68152 the court may routinely purge records. Review this document for the length of time a record is kept (which varies) and for policies governing file destruction.


The court can make copies of documents or files and will charge a fee for each page. The court does not send out court files electronically or by fax. Persons viewing files are not allowed to use personal technology to replicate (take pictures or videos) of the contents of a file.

Frequently Asked Questions

Yes. This form is ONLY for adjudicative records.  We recommend you first try to find the information you are looking form by using our free Case Information portal.

Use this form to request copies of adjudicative records maintained by the Superior Court of California, County of Nevada (court). The court will then review your request and investigate whether and when the requested materials can be produced, or if the records are exempt from disclosure.

"Judicial administrative record" means "any writing containing information relating to the conduct of the people's business." Examples of judicial administrative records include, but are not limited to, budget and expenditure records, contracts, and written policies and procedures. See subdivisions (c)(2) and (e)(2) of rule 10.500.

Complete all sections of the request form above and submit it to the court in any manner listed. The information you provide will facilitate the processing of your request. Be as detailed as possible. If you are not specific, the court may have difficulty responding to your request and your response may be delayed.

If submitted in writing, the court will notify you of its determination generally within 10 business days of receipt of your request. In some circumstances (for example, when a voluminous amount of records are involved), the 10 day period may be extended by an additional 14 business days. Once the court makes a determination, any responsive, disclosable records will be made promptly available.

You may be charged fees that reflect the direct costs of duplication or production. In addition, you may be charged fees that reflect actual costs of staff search and review time expended on a commercial use request. Payment may be required before records are duplicated or produced.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.