Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Interpreters and Language Services

Court-provided Interpreters

If you are involved in a proceeding for a Criminal, Traffic, Juvenile, or Family Court Hearing, you may ask the clerk at the counter or the clerk in the courtroom for an interpreter. If an interpreter is not available at the time of your hearing, your case may be continued by the Court until an interpreter can be assigned.

If you are involved in a civil or small claims hearing, you may be provided an interpreter, if one is available.

Parties and Counsel are required to provide notice to the Court of any need for interpreting in order to assure that these services may be arranged by the Court on a timely basis. To notice the Court you may:

Return the form to the Interpreter Coordinator either by mail, fax, hand delivery or by emailing it to

If you decide to use a noncertified or nonregistered interpreter, such as a friend or relative, have the person read the instructions and duties for interpreting in the information sheet called Foreign Language Interpreter’s Duties-Civil and Small Claims (INT-200) .

Tips for using an interpreter

Using a court interpreter can be awkward, because you have to go through another person to get your information or talk to the judge. Follow these tips when using an interpreter in a courtroom:

  • Listen carefully to the interpreter.
  • Wait for the interpreter to finish talking before you answer.
  • Speak slowly so the interpreter can hear everything you say.

Do not interrupt, even if someone in court says something bad about you. You will get a chance to speak.

What if the Court doesn't have an interpreter that speaks my language?

To locate an interpreter that speaks your language, check on the Judicial Council website. On the left side of the Interpreter page and click on the link that says "Search for an interpreter". You will be provided a searchable directory of interpreters who are in good standing with the Judicial Council.

Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)

If you require the services of a sign language interpreter, you may request one at any courthouse, for any type of hearing you may have. This includes civil hearings, small claims hearings and jury duty.

What if I want to become an interpreter?

If you are interested in becoming an interpreter, please visit the Judicial Council's "Become an Interpreter" page .

Limited English Proficiency Plan

This document serves as the plan for the Superior Court of Nevada County to provide to persons with limited English proficiency (LEP) services that are in compliance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C. 2000d et seq.; 45 C.F.R. § 80.1 et seq.; and 28 C.F.R. § 42.101–42.112). The purpose of this plan is to provide a framework for the provision of timely and reasonable language assistance to LEP persons who come in contact with the Superior Court of Nevada County | >> Click here to view the LEP.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.